We really love chickpeas at Fitaly. Not only are they a completely versatile Italian staple – they are an amazing source of gluten-free and vegan protein and really do fill you up.
Make sure to cook them al dente- leaving a bit of a crunch so you can really enjoy their nutty texture.
We have teamed them up with tomato, rocket and flatbread, perfect for a mid- holiday healthy lunch (or when you simply can’t take any more Christmas chocolate..)
- 200g of cooked chickpeas
- 100g of chopped soffrito (celery/carrots/onion)
- 2 bottles of tomato passata
- 3 Sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme
- 150ml of vegetable stock (homemade or shop bought)
- Salt and Pepper and honey to season
- Saute the soffrito with olive oil. Once golden, add the vegetable stock and then the chickpeas.
- Stir and leave to cook for 10 minutes. Add sprigs of rosemary and thyme and leave to cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Add the two bottles of passata, season with salt, pepper and neutralise acidity with a teaspoon of honey. You could also add additional dried rosemary if desired.
- Leave to simmer on a low heat for 2-3 hours.
- Once ready, serve in a wholemeal wrap or pitta bread with fresh rocket and olive oil.